Wednesday, July 8, 2015

HAVERGAL'S PRAYER


A denominational hymnal is a valuable companion to the Bible when we spend personal, quiet time devotionally in the presence of God.  The Salvation Army Songbook  (SASB) is my source of inspiration and enlightenment conveying a theology of the heart and the infinite love of God for even me. 
Most recently I’ve been noticing a particular poet and hymn writer, Frances Ridley Havergal (14 December 1836 – 3 June 1879).  She is best known for her hymn, Take My Life and Let it Be.  I keep bumping into her in my songbook.  This morning I encountered her again and I began thanking God for his love for her, and his Spirit in her that occasioned her inspired gifts of poetry and song over 150 years ago.  Her works remain an important part of our heritage today. Praise God!

Here in a lovely poem/song, we find her prayer. In it she speaks to the progress of our walk through life with God.  I imagine that it expresses a witness of her life’s journey as well.

Lord speak to me, that I may speak in living echoes of thy tone;
As thou hast sought, so let me seek thy erring children lost and lone.

O lead me Lord, that I may lead the wandering and the wavering feet;
O feed me, Lord, that I may feed thy hungering ones with manna sweet.

O strengthen me, that while I stand firm on the rock, and strong in thee,
I may stretch out a loving hand to wrestlers in a troubled sea.

O teach me, Lord, that I may teach thy the precious things thou dost impart;
And wing my words that they may reach the hidden depths of many a heart.

O give thine own sweet rest to me, that I may speak with soothing power
A word in season as from thee to weary ones in needful hour.

O fill me with thy fullness, Lord, until my very heart o’erflow
In kindling thought and glowing word, Thy love to tell, thy praise to show.

O use me, Lord, use even me, just as thou wilt and when and where,
Until thy blessed face I see, Thy rest, thy joy, thy glory share.
SASB#612  -  Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)

Notice her progression from verse to verse:  speak, lead, feed,
strengthen, teach, give rest, give a word, fill with thy fullness, use me.  In beautiful words, Havergal covers the full continuum of God’s grace and provision. With the last two verses the prayer culminates in holiness and sanctified service and reminds us that wherever we are in the journey, there’s more!  Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment