Wednesday, November 12, 2014

NOT EVERYONE'S CUP RUNNETH OVER

NOT EVERYONE'S RUNNETH OVER
My parents were Salvation Army officers.  All six kids in the family grew up “volunteering” in various ways throughout the Army's annual Christmas effort.  My father, Frank Raymond Sr., died in 1970 at the age of 47, but until then he had a talent for public relations and marketing the compassion of The Salvation Army.  In the mid-nineteen-fifties, he created a PR pitch during Christmas time with the picture of a Salvation Army shield on a coffee mug.  The pitch simply said, “Not everyone’s runneth over!”  It pricked the conscience of the community toward the poorest of the poor.  Today the Army’s mug says “Doing the Most Good.”  I like my father’s creativity, because it kept the focus on those others who needed “the most good.”

       Praying over Thanksgiving dinner in a poor family's home
 A friend of mine, retired Salvation Army officer, Major Patricia Davis, writes:

“I just finished taking applications this morning. My last application was a young mother with 5 children.....some of her request for "gifts" for her young children were: a blanket for his bed, twin sheets for a few others, Christmas dresses....a few toys...but mostly necessities.  I thought my heart would break and it was all I could do not to cry in front of her (I do tend to get emotional) .... It sure puts things in perspective, especially when some people are a bit more extravagant in their requests.

I did break down after she left...leaving my poor husband and other volunteers dismayed as to why I was falling apart.....bless them.  Tonight when I snuggle under my warm blanket I know I will be thinking of those dear children. And we are putting some of those necessities together now and I will deliver them.” 


Making the last drop count
Thousands of Salvation Army personnel this Christmas season have a compassionate appreciation that not everyone’s cup runneth over and so it is their heart after the likeness of God’s own heart that moves them to do the most good and to do it in Jesus’ name.  Unless we too are moved with compassion, then what?

No comments:

Post a Comment