Saturday, April 26, 2014

SEEKING THE KINGDOM IN THE AGE OF APPS AND i PHONES

We live in an amazing time technologically.  Our i Phones, i Pads, and MacBook Pro lap tops, Netflix, Amazon shopping, Facetime, Skype, Facebook, texting and Twitter are right at our finger tips putting us in contact with the world.  It is a world that through technology is both bigger than ever and yet smaller in access.  It is a brave new world with seemingly unlimited possibilities.  We find ourselves in a new age.

What will historians call the present age?  In my lifetime I’ve heard we were in the industrial age, the nuclear age, the space age, the post-nuclear age, the age of technology, and now the age of social media.  I have my own label for what we are now experiencing.  I call it the age of unprecedented attractions and distractions.  We are in a time when high tech, and social media in particular, generates a tsunami of remarkable gizmos, gadgets, apps and all manner of ways and means by which we may be entertained, preoccupied, and mesmerized.  Some of it is behaviorally addictive.  Teen and pre-teen texting comes to mind along with video games on line, on the laptop, and on the phone.   I am most concerned about the epidemic of texting while driving.  It’s crazy out there.  But it’s crazy in here.

What I mean by “It’s crazy in here” is how the heart and soul is impacted by all the attractions and distractions, made possible by technology.   I am not making a case that these amazing tools are evil and sinful.  They make possible a quality of life that is unprecedented in history.  My concern is that they make it easy to be too engaged in the entertainment attractions and distractions of the culture.  By this I mean all those good things that steal our time and attention from the excellent things in life.  The excellent is all the key daily experiences most important to our social/spiritual development and the inner life of the heart and soul.

It comes down to how we use technology, what we do with it.  We have choices.  Watching a Netflix movie is a good thing, depending on the movie.  Watching NCAA Final Four basketball, or the cooking channel are good things too.  Staying in touch with friends on Facebook and texting to say happy birthday are all good.  Doing it so much that there is no balance to life, no pursuit of those things that are spiritually excellent, is the challenge.


My i Phone has an app that for months I did not notice and did not use.  It’s a Bible, scripture at my fingertips.  One morning, I realized I was slacking-off reading my Bible.  I was sacrificing having a personal time of reflection on scripture and a quiet time with the Lord.  My fault.  I can’t blame my i Phone.  I must face the music of my own poor time management.  The reality is that I spend too much time on the Facebook app not enough in activity that feeds my soul and moves my heart.  

Yes.  The culture has attractions and distractions accessible through the technology.  But the real battle is an inner one of consecration.  It calls for me to manage my time in ways that are pleasing to God.  It’s a call to use technology in ways that feed my soul and grows my heart after the likeness of my Lord.  The enemy of excellence is not the bad.  It’s too much of all the good that steals time and attention from a more excellent way.  Technology can help or hinder depending on what we value and how we mange our time.  Help us, O God, to seek first the Kingdom and your excellence and to use technology accordingly!

No comments:

Post a Comment